Japan


Home > About Toshiba > Corporate Information > History >

History of Toshiba’s Corporate Logo

In 1939, Shibaura Seisaku-sho (Shibaura Engineering Works) and Tokyo Denki (Tokyo Electric Company) merged to form Tokyo Shibaura Denki (Tokyo Shibaura Electric Co., Ltd.), the forerunner of present-day Toshiba. Below we introduce the main corporate logos used by the two pre-merger enterprises and the history of the logo up to the present.

Figure of History of Toshiba's Corporate Logo

Shibaura Seisaku-sho

1893:
The company, which was closely linked to Mitsui Bank, initially used the logo of Mitsui Bank.
1904:
After changing its name from Tanaka Seizo-sho to Shibaura Seisaku-sho, the company adopted an original logo that employed the character for “Shiba” as a motif.

Tokyo Denki (Tokyo Electric Company)

1906:
Tokyo Denki and America's General Electric had technical cooperation, capital tie-up and licensing agreements, and the Company was allowed to use GE's Edison logo. It appeared on all products until 1925.
1925:
The company used “Mazda” as the motif for its logo, as its top product was the “Mazda” incandescent light bulb. The name was derived from Ahura Mazda, the central deity and source of all light in the Zoroastrianim.

Tokyo Shibaura Denki (Tokyo Shibaura Electric Co., Ltd.)

1939:
Shibaura Seisaku-sho and Tokyo Denki merged as Tokyo Shibaura Denki. A new logo combined the two existing logos.
1939:
The merged company registered the “Toshiba” trademark in 1939.
1943:
During the Pacific War, the company stopped using “Mazda”, since it was an imported word, and adopted a new logo.
1946:
The “Mazda” logo was reinstated after WWII.
1950:
The logo was changed to “Toshiba” in the roman alphabet.
1969:
A simpler, easy to read design was introduced to help boost awareness of the company’s name.

Toshiba (Toshiba Corporation)

1984:
A few years after Tokyo Shibaura Denki changed its name to Toshiba, a new logo replaced all of its predecessors.
2002:
The “Toshiba logotype” was adopted as the symbol of Toshiba Group and optimized for use in digitized formats.
2006:
The logotype was combined with the “Leading Innovation” tagline to create a new corporate brand.

The logo has changed over time, but it has always represented and expressed our commitment to our customers and society throughout the world.

Related Information

News & Topics

Corporate Profile

Corporate Profile
PDF downloadA separate window will open.

Related Site